Volunteer Opportunities Newsletter | March 2, 2017
Posted by Hannah Cherry
COMMUNITY-BASED LEARNING EVENTS & UPDATES
Register for a Spring 2017 course where you learn AND make a meaningful positive impact in the community!
Courses with community-based learning (CBL) provide students with the opportunity to: explore local, national, and/or global issues; broaden their perspectives and enhance critical thinking skills; and become active citizens through community engagement. There are numerous courses that have CBL projects this upcoming term! Find out what CBL classes are being offered on the CBL Course Page or by searching for CBL in the Schedule of Classes!
Submit a digital photo & a short reflection about your Community-Based Learning (CBL) experience to win* prizes! Winners will be announced on the CBL Newsfeed each week! Submissions will primarily be used by the Community-Based Learning Program in efforts to highlight student experiences in courses with community-based learning assignments/projects. How to Enter the Contest:
- PCC students are eligible to enter the contest (*PCC faculty and staff are not eligible)
- There is no limit to the number of photos and reflections students can submit each week!
- Use the online form to submit contest entries: https://goo.gl/forms/jUkmGXbPp82gPgX23
Girl Scouts and IRCO SUN Schools have partnered up to bring Girl Scout Programming to after-school programs. Be the role model she’ll always remember. As a volunteer, you’ll introduce girls to new experiences that show them they’re capable of more than they ever imagined. You’ll be their cheerleader, guide, and mentor, helping them develop skills and confidence that will last a lifetime. Imagine the smiles, the excitement, the memories made—those are the moments you’ll share at Girl Scouts.
New Opportunities for spring term:
- Mill Park Elementary-David Douglas School District
- Lincoln Park Elementary-David Douglas School District
- Shaver Elementary-Parkrose School District
- Vestal Elementary-Portland Public Schools
- Gilbert Park Elementary-David Douglas School District
2. Columbia Land Trust: Squirrel Scouting Surveys in the Klickitat (Fri, March 24th and Sat, March 25th)
Friday, March 24th and Saturday, March 25th
10:00 AM to 4:00 PM each day
Bowman Creek (20 minutes west of Goldendale, Washington)
Calling all squirrel enthusiasts, citizen scientists, and outdoors-folk! You’re invited to join Columbia Land Trust for one or two days of western gray squirrel nest surveys at our Klickitat area Bowman Creek property. Each morning will kick off with an orientation on nest survey protocol, squirrel identification, safety, and site management history. We’ll then spend the day scouting the forest canopy for nests, noting observations, and tagging surveyed trees. All of this will serve to inform future land management decisions that aim to support Bowman Creek’s important western gray squirrel population. Here’s a rare opportunity to spend some time immersed within this unique woodland.
Contact: Sam Schongalla, Volunteer Coordinator; email@example.com | 360-213-1214
OTHER UPCOMING VOLUNTEER EVENTS
Saturday, March 4th
- Johnson Creek Watershed Council: Watershed Wide Event
- New Avenues for Youth: Volunteer with New Avenues for Youth at the Classic Wines Auction!
Previous Postings are on the CBL Blog
On Campus Opportunities at PCC:
2nd Edition Resale Shop (Cedar Mill Community Library Association):
- Become a Mentor for Latina Girls! Chicas Facilitator Assistant Volunteers Needed!
- Help Engage Latino Families in Education! Chicas Youth Development Family Engagement Volunteers Needed
- Seeking Volunteer Office Assistants for our Chicas Youth Development Program!
Beaverton School District AVID:
Cascade AIDS Project:
- Internship and Other Volunteer Roles in Support Services for People Living with HIV
- Internship and Volunteer Roles Available in HIV Prevention Department
Cat Alliance Team Sanctuary (C.A.T.S.):
Clackamas Service Center:
Community Vision Inc:
El Programa Hispano Catolico:
- Seeking Spanish-speakers – no experience necessary – to help the low income community!
- Seeking volunteers with tax experience to help the low-income community
Friends of Tryon Creek & Tualatin Riverkeepers:
Hillsboro Public Library:
Immigrant & Refugee Community Organization (IRCO):
Markham SUN School – Impact NW:
- Teach after school SUN classes – Make a difference in the lives of kids in your community (Fall, Winter, and Spring)!
Northeast Emergency Food Program:
NW Regional Education Service District:
Portland Homeless Family Solutions:
SAFE of Columbia County:
Sexual Assault Resource Center:
Social Justice Action Center:
Southwest Community Health Center:
The Media Foundation:
- Facilitate positive after school activities for middle school youth
- Use your Spanish skills to support a young child
- Support children in trauma-informed nursery
Portland Community College is a politically neutral institution. Listing of any event or activity herein is not indicative of the College’s sponsorship or support of any political cause or position.
Community-Based Learning Program
To submit announcements for the Volunteer Opportunities Newsletter, visit: