Portland Community College | Portland, Oregon

Please note: This was published over a year ago. Phone numbers, email addresses and other information may have changed.

Resource: Best Practices in Teaching and Learning

Posted by | 1 comment

This is a guest post by Rock Creek Health Instructor Alissa Leavitt.

Resource: A Brief Summary of the Best Practices in College Teaching

I found this article while researching best teaching practices for a course that I’m taking at PSU. I enjoyed the article because it includes some interesting ideas to implement in our classrooms. For example, the Guided Lecture strategy might shake up the normal class routine and encourage active listening. The Double Loop feedback included some helpful tips, although I found the response suggestion in Step 3, “That many mistakes imply you either don’t care or are ignorant” a bit harsh. Overall, I think it’s worth finding the time to read it and to reflect on ways we can improve the teaching and learning process.

About Heather Mayer

Part-Time History Instructor and Coordinator of the Rock Creek Teaching Learning Center. more »

Comments

There is one comment for this article. If you see something that doesn't belong, please click the x and report it.

x by Fran Bozarth 2 years ago

This is really wonderful, solid information. I’m glad to see it out there.

Add to the discussion

PCC offers this limited open forum as an extension of the respectful, well-reasoned discourse we expect in our classroom discussions. As such, we welcome all viewpoints, but monitor comments to be sure they stick to the topic and contribute to the conversation. We will remove them if they contain or link to abusive material, personal attacks, profanity, off-topic items, or spam. This is the same behavior we require in our hallways and classrooms. Our online spaces are no different.

Archives

Search: Teaching Learning Center Blog