What’s New with the VoIP Interaction Desktop
A few weeks ago, PCC upgraded its VoIP “Interaction Desktop” software. Formerly known as the “interaction Client” software, this is an optional tool that works in concert with your PCC phone to enhance your ability to manage calls. If you already have the previous version of the software installed on your computer, your Interaction Client was automatically updated. If you do not yet have this tool on your computer and want to have it, call PCC Telephone Services (x8800) to request installation. The Interaction Desktop has a new icon associated with it as well (see the icon pictured at right).
Below are five (5) features we’ve found that are different in the new version of the VoIP Interaction Desktop. (Most features remain the same.)
1) New “Status” Field Location and Options
To change your Status to “At Lunch,” “On Vacation,” “Available Forward” or any of the other status options, click on the Status down arrow, now located near the top of your screen and just to the right of the “timer” readout:
- Select the Status you want from the drop-down list.
- If you chose “Available, Forward” (to forward calls to another phone), click on the tiny down arrow just to the right of the “Status” down arrow, then type in your forwarding number.
- Some other Statuses require additional information. If you do have information to add, click on the down arrow in the field just to the right of the Status field to enter in the information. Otherwise, you are done.
- If you do not see the icons described when you are viewing the Interaction Desktop, it could be because your main toolbar is “hidden.” To fix this, Click on the View menu at the top of the screen and click to ‘check’ the “Basic” toolbar.
‘Star’ Your Frequently-Used Statuses
“Starring” makes it quicker and easier to change from one Status to another on the fly. For example, if you use “Available” and “At Lunch” most often, you can star them so that later you can just click on an icon to quickly change over to that status.
- Click on the Status column near the top of your screen, just to the right of the “timer” readout.
- Click on the far right side of one of the statuses listed to “star” it.
When you “star” a status, an icon associated with that status appears just to the right of the status field, which in the future you can click on whenever you want to change to that status.
2) “Views” — Formerly Called “Pages”
A View is an area of the screen that contains information. (It was known as a Page in the old Interaction Client, or a “Tab.”)
To add a View:
- Click on the “New” button near the upper left corner of your window.
- (If you don’t see the New button, right-click anywhere on the right side of your top toolbar area and make sure the “standard” toolbar is checked.)
- Click to highlight the View you want to add, then click OK.
Here are some examples of Views you can add:
- Voice Mail : listen to your voice mails from your computer
- Workgroup Queue: a list of employees in a certain department — double-click to call someone
- Fax Viewer: Manage your Faxes
- Speed Dial: create and/or access a list of our frequently-called numbers so you can access them quickly
- Dial Pad: Click on numbers on a dial pad to call someone, rather than typing in a phone number
Move a View
You can move a View (for example, your “Chat” or “Call History” views) to a different portion of your screen.
- Move your mouse-pointer onto the tab name associated with the View you wish to move.
- Click and hold your left mouse-clicker down and “drag” to move it
- You will see a series of arrows, or position indicators. Drag your mouse pointer to the arrow that corresponds to the portion of the screen (left, right, upper, lower) you want to move your View into.
- If you are not satisfied with the new location of your View, repeat the process until it is positioned the way you like it.
You can also undock a view — move it anywhere you want as a separate window.
3) Create a Whole New Page of Views (“Workspace”)
With the new Interaction Desktop, you can create additional pages (“workspaces”), each with their own set of Views. You can toggle back and forth between Workspaces at any time to access these different pages. This is especially helpful for users who may work with a queue of calls (for example, the Help Desk, Registration, or Financial Aid) as well as their own phone line, or manage other employees’ phone lines as well as their own.
- Click on the tiny down-arrow on the right side of the “New” button near the upper left corner of your screen.
- Choose “Workspace.”
- Type in a name and description (optional) for your Workspace.
- Choose an icon (to associate your new Workspace with a clickable icon).
- Click OK.
- The “getting started” page will appear. From here, add Views to your new page by clicking “View” in the left column and selecting what you want to see on your new Workspace.
- Now you have two pages, or Workspaces. To move back and forth between the two, click on the icons associated with each Workspace. These icons are located on the far left of your screen (just under the “New” button).
4) Mini-Mode: Switch to a Smaller Version of the Interaction Desktop
With mini mode, you can switch over to a smaller-screen version of Interaction Desktop at any time. Only a small portion of your desktop is taken up when you switch to mini mode. (You can always switch back to regular “full screen” mode later.)
- Click on the “Options” menu at the top of your screen
- Select “Show in Mini-Mode”
Now you can work with the main tools and only use up a small amount of space on your computer desktop.
If your Mini-Mode screen disappears (to get it out of the way), just hover with your mouse in the upper left area of your screen and it will reappear.
5) Speed Dial: Create a Personal “Frequently Called Numbers” Directory
You can create a customized personal directory view, or “Speed Dial” view, so that you have easy access to frequently-called numbers.
- Click the “New” button, located near the upper left corner of your window
- Find the option “Speed Dial” and click to highlight it
- Click the plus sign
- Type in a name for your Speed Dial directory
- If you want to share your Speed Dial directory with others, select “Public,” then indicate what permisisons you want others to have (i.e. add other speed dial numbers to your directory, etc.)
- Click OK
- Highlight your new Speed Dial view on the left column, then click the “Add” icon
- Click OK
Add People (with their phone numbers) to Your Speed Dial View
Now that you have a Speed Dial view and have given it a name, you can add numbers into it.
- Position your Speed Dial view in such a way that it is in a different part of your screen than the Company Directory
- For example, if your Company Directory is in the lower portion of your screen, move the Speed Dial view into the upper section.
- See the section above for directions on how to move a View
- Look someone up in the Company Directory
- Perform a search by typing in the blank fields just above “Last Name” or “First Name” fields to locate them in the Directory
- Drag and drop the line associated with the person you want y from the Company Directory onto your Speed Dial tab
You can also drag and drag a number from your Call History, Workgroup Directory or any other directory.